Possible virus in Hmonitor?

You may find answers to frequent questions here. Please, use Search before posting new questions!

Possible virus in Hmonitor?

Postby PissedOffUser » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:15 pm

After downloading the latest version from the authors website my virus scanner immediately found the trojan virus it had installed. Any ideas?
PissedOffUser

Re: Possible virus in Hmonitor?

Postby author » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:19 am

It only means that your antivirus program has produced FALSE ALARM.
So, you must throw out not Hmonitor but this crap antivirus program.
You may send Hmonitor to Virustotal to see reports from more then 40 antivirus programs:
There are no alarms from the industry leaders, such as Symantec or DrWeb!
The only meaningful alarm is "unknown packer" message, that some stupid antivirus programs blame as "virus presence".
The Hmonitor's author
author
Site Admin

Postby Dukmiester2 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:08 am

As of 12-3-2009. Symantec is now detecting "Infostealer" in some of the older versions of Hmonitor.exe:
Qouted from the http://www.virustotal.com's results
"Symantec 1.4.4.12 2009.12.03 Infostealer"

I only just found this out because I am now "dual booting" both Windows XP 32 bit
and Windows 7 64 bit and have a different version of hmonitor for each OS.

Also, called a friend of mine and sure enough, he was getting a "False Positive" also.

From my recent experience:

versions 4.4.3.1 and 4.4.3.2 are both being picked up by Symantec as of 12-3-09.
For a year before that, all was fine, so there are definitely false alarms.
Now I have restored the file from quarantine, set up the hmonitor folder AND the EXE
in the "Exclusions" settings.
I am running Hmonitor version 4435 in my Win 7 X64 OS and so far so good, no False Hits.

Just wanted to pass this along.
Dukmiester2

Postby author » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:43 am

I can confirm that both these versions 4431 and 4432 produce false alarms with the latest Symantec antivirus base updates.
Need to note that they are outdated and not supported anymore. Besides, cracked copies of these versions are wide spreaded in the Net, and ALL CRACKED COPIES ARE REALLY INFECTED by trojans and/or viruses!
So, i'd recommend to avoid usage of any cracked versions at all,
and upgrade legal copies to the latest 4.4.3.5 release (FREE for most of customers).
The Hmonitor's author
author
Site Admin

Return to F.A.Q.