Power Fan Alarm

Please, discuss technical issues related to hardware monitoring, but not suitable for other forums, here

Power Fan Alarm

Postby aimhigh » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:07 pm

I was getting a Hardware Failure alarm when I powered up. After getting into BIOS settings at starup, I noticed the Power Fan RPM showing red off and on. The low was 1350 or so and normal around 2600.

To get the pc working, I disabled the Power fan alarm. I also noticed on an older pc, that this setting was disabled.

Is this a critical setting?? Will my pc power crash or should I leave it alone disabled?

Thank you.
aimhigh

Postby Moses » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:09 pm

that depends on your Power supply... if the setting was enabled all the time this could indicate that there are some problems...
but maybee only the cable got a bit loose or so.. you should look for that..

If you changed nothing and the alarm appeard suddenly, you should keep a closer look at your power supply, especially the fan... if it dies it could do serious harm to your power supply and even burn down or so...
Moses

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:53 pm

Thanks for the reply, Moses.

I could hear the fan changing speeds. The setting WAS on all the time but I disabled it because I kept getting hardware failures from the alarm.That was yesterday. I guess I should go out and buy a new PS. That would be the smart thing to do. Thanks for your help...

Postby aimhigh » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:54 pm

I wonder if the fan, itself, could be changed instead of the entire PS??
aimhigh

Postby Moses » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:21 am

It is possible, technically... but I am quite sure that it would be more expensive than to exchange the whole PS... At least is it that, what the people from the local store told to me.. ;)
Moses

Postby aimhigh » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:12 pm

Not to beat this thing, but I listened t o the fans and they were not connected correctly. The fan that is changing speeds is the front of the case fan, not the PS fan. The builder must not have correctly installed the wiring.. HMmmmmm..
aimhigh

Return to General discussion