hmonitor cannot read my HDs

You may find answers to frequent questions here. Please, use Search before posting new questions!

hmonitor cannot read my HDs

Postby spellbinder() » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:42 am

I have three SATA HDs, hmonitor cannot seem to read them.

Why cant hmonitor read my HD info?
spellbinder()

Postby spellbinder() » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:02 am

Aha!!

The reason why I cannot see the HD temperatures is because my login user in windows XP belongs to the 'power user group'. When I tried to uninstall and reinstall hMonitor using a user with admin rights, I was able to see the HD temps together with the other temps.

It seems that only the user with admin rights can view this info. (I tested with different users groups (power users, users, guest, kids <- user defined group) and any user under these groups could not view the HD info

Now, when I am using my computer, I intend to use my login with restricted rights because I dont want to unknowingly infect my system while surfing the internet.

I believe it should not only be the admin user who can view the HD info
spellbinder()

Postby author » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:32 am

spellbinder() wrote:It seems that only the user with admin rights can view this info.

But it is clearly noted in the docs (help file)! Have you read it?
The Hmonitor's author
author
Site Admin

Postby spellbinder() » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:58 pm

Why is it that someone need have to have admin rights to be able to monitor HD temps?
spellbinder()

Postby author » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:48 pm

spellbinder() wrote:Why is it that someone need have to have admin rights to be able to monitor HD temps?

It is Microsoft restriction, not Hmonitor code. For safe operations, Hmonitor uses only standard ways to access HD drives.
Last edited by author on Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Hmonitor's author
author
Site Admin

Return to F.A.Q.