Monitoring hot-plugged hard drives

Write here your suggestions and/or requests about features you would like to see in the future Hmonitor releases.

Monitoring hot-plugged hard drives

Postby Olyrous » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:42 pm

Hello, I have a couple of Sata II drives in my system that I control with a switch to turn them on and off whenever I want.When I hot-plug a drive, although it's fully recognized in the system, Hmonitor does not include it in the HDD Temperatures until I restart the program (then it does) and when I unplug it, it continues to display the last taken drive temperature although the drive is gone.It seems that Hmoitor does not search for drives when it collects the HDD temperatures.It would be nice if it did so that restarting the program is not necessary.
You see I really need to monitor these drives because they are enclosed and starting/restaring the program is a chore.
Thanks.
Olyrous

Postby author » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:16 pm

Hmonitor specially identifies removable drives to handle them properly.
Your situation means that these drives are visible as FIXED MEDIA for the system, so hmonitor have no way to determine hot-plug action for the drive.
The Hmonitor's author
author
Site Admin

Postby Olyrous » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:22 am

Using Windows's "Computer Management" I see that the drives I'm talking about are not recognized as Removable Storage or anything, they are recognized as typical disk drives along with my permanently plugged system drive.
They are SATAII drives that support the Hot-Plug feature and so does my motherboard (Asus A8N-E).I plug them on while the system is running,scan for hardware changes and there they are (like any other drive in the system).
What I'm suggesting is that maybe hmonitor should have a "Rescan for disk drives" function.
Olyrous

Postby author » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:29 pm

Olyrous wrote:maybe hmonitor should have a "Rescan for disk drives" function.

But it is there! 8)
Just open main window popup menu and uncheck "hard drives" item, then check it again.
The Hmonitor's author
author
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions